Pages

Thursday 22 April 2010

Reading Log

I keep a reading log. I jot down quick reviews of books I have read and then, in theory, transcribe them into my reading log. The reading log is several months behind. I am glad I make a note of my reads into my diary otherwise the whole process would totally collapse. Here are the last 3 weeks worth of reviews, transcribed from my diary pages.

(The log details a quick review, a score in stars and also in percentage and the genre.)



Youth in Revolt by C. D Payne ** 46% Fiction
This started off well, but lost pace and became very samey. The character of Nick Twisp became annoying and unrealistic. I will not be reading the sequel anytime soon.



We can't all be Astronauts by Tim Clare *** 56% Non-fiction/ memoir
This was well written and sort of interesting. However, it was stressful to read and Tim Clare came across as an idiot. At first I could relate to him, but then he became too whiney. A bit of a something and nothing book.



King of the Cloud Forests by Michal Morpurgo ***** 72% Children's fiction
Really good. Nice all round. The characters were all strong and the writing was compelling and enjoyable. Lovely concept and ethics. Recommended read for all ages.



Bully by Jim Schutze ** 36% Non-fiction crime
This was very badly written and paced. I didn't find it at all compelling.



The It Girl 'created by' Cecily von Ziegesar ** 35% Young Adult fiction
(I did not intend to read this book. The library ordered me the incorrect book and I read it anyway.)
I have probably scored this higher than it deserves. It was uninteresting. There is nothing going for it. The copyright belongs not to an author, but to an entertainment/ production company. This shows, since the story is thin, the characters one dimensional. It is dull, there is no hint of a plot. I hated the characters, they were all total idiots. The only thing that made me score it so highly is that the writing was not terrible on the most part (nothing amazing, poetic or literary, but the writing flowed well, even if the plot, pacing, characters and overal concept did not.)



The French Connection by Robin Moore **** 70% Non-fiction crime
There was a lot of suspense. I was fairly hooked. It was written quite well for a true-life crime book, though nothing literary or amazing. I found it enjoyable to read, since the story was very interesting. I have scored it highly on the basis of the plot, pacing and suspense rather than its literary merits (which are slim).

-----

In other news: I have injured myself somehow after going to gymnastics for the first time in ages. I was doing front somersaults (working up to double front somersaults, so one and a half somersaults really). This was from the trampoline onto mats, four mats piled high to be exact. My leg buckled and I think I pulled or tore my quads. This means I cannot cycle nor can I really walk far. I feel really annoyed and upset about this because I start to feel really cooped up if I cannot go for a walk or cycle at least once a day.
One of Mr Kite's chickens died yesterday because the other chickens pecked her to the point of death and she had to be put down. Chickens are really nasty! I am surprised at how fast the poor chook was incapacitated. She was walking around happily and healthily in the morning. By 11:30am when we went to check on them she was very woozy and bloody. :(
Things are not going well. I'm off to cook in the woods on Saturday, so that should cheer me up :D

No comments: